Monday, October 17, 2011

The Playground

The playground is nothing more but a stage of mischief for bullies.

Think about it.

So many kids, so little adults.  They can't be everywhere.

So everyday, at least one injustice always goes undetected.

The bullies strut around like peacocks--colors of courage and defiance, nothing more than feeble attempts to coat the blackness of their own inabilities and insecurities.  They have to install fear in others and pretend they are gaining the respect of their victims.

The playground was where I first saw her.  I knew there was something different about her, even in the way she played.

The young usually dipped with reckless abandon, only with life for today, no thoughts of tomorrow.

But she behaved with such reserve--careful not to climb too high on the bars or swing too high, as if she knew tomorrow wasn't promised.  Her clothes bore no brand; her head stayed permanently low or bowed, purposely making little or no contact with those around her.

I clung to the highest branch, tempted to come down, if only to ask, "Why such caution?".

By the time my feet touched Earth, she was scurrying towards the school bus.  On her heels were three girls, mature in looks but immature in so many other ways.  I could tell by the points and snickers they were the local bullies.

She made it on the bus, believing she were safe, but the safety was soon shattered as nails of black, pink, and red forced the front doors open.  My attempts to reach her were thwarted by others racing to their buses as well.  By the time I made it, carnage only remained.

Her face, once a nude brown canvas, was now smeared with black, red, and streaks of tears.  The bus driver, with regret etched on her face, asked if she were all right, but the question was drowned out by the snicker of the bullies and the laughter of the crowd as they took their seats. 

On that day, three things I knew for sure:
  • I was in love
  • I wanted to protect her
  • I wanted to kill them
My dreams were full of sick fantasies of what I wanted to do to those bitches.  My plan was blocked when I realized the main perpetrator was one of her cousins.  Back then, I had a little more consideration for family.  So I gave the trio over to Karma and bided time, not knowing if there would ever be a right time to make her notice me.

No comments:

Post a Comment